The CAE Hardware staff is hiring for student positions in the fall. Resumes are now being accepted. You will be contacted by September 13th, with interviews starting the following week.
This is an entry-level student position providing computing support to the Computer-Aided Engineering computer labs at the University of Wisconsin – Madison. The position is responsible for troubleshooting and fixing failed computers and printers in CAE’s computer labs. Assist permanent staff as needed with computer repairs and basic network troubleshooting.
- Watch Request Tracker (RT) Hardware queue for incoming tickets/problem reports and work to resolve these issues.
- Periodically visit remote labs to ensure they are in good order.
- Keep the printers in working order by preforming preventative maintenance on all CAE printers.
- Monitor CAE lab computers and printers using provided tools to assure machines are running and healthy.
- Troubleshoot computers and printers and provide second-level support and problem resolution for the CAE Helpdesk staff.
- Contact computer manufacturer for warranty support and to obtain parts.
- Courteously obtain and convey concise problem information for external and internal service personnel.
- Demonstrate consistently good customer service skills.
- Provide accurate and timely logging of problems and resolution for problems in the RT problem management database following case recording and documentation standards.
- Develop troubleshooting skills by using effective investigative methods and using troubleshooting tools, such as the Knowledge Base, RT, and logs.
- Utilize down time to improve skills or complete special projects.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of support tools and procedures at CAE.
- Able to communicate effectively over the phone, email or in person. English is required; other languages welcome.
- Able to write clearly and concisely.
- Ability to communicate respectfully and effectively with potentially difficult situations and users.
- Desire and aptitude to learn information technology support functions and processes.
- Basic computer knowledge – the more the better. Windows a must, linux and Mac preferred.
- Prior experience in a customer service position highly desirable.
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
The ideal candidate will be a self motivated freshman or sophomore, with some technical computer knowledge, and excellent communication skills.
If you are interested, please fill out the Student Application Form.
Please put the position you are applying for in the section labeled “Other Information”.