The CAE Help Desk staff is hiring for student positions.
This is an entry-level student position providing computing support to the College of Engineering (CoE) at the University of Wisconsin – Madison for students, faculty and staff. The position is responsible for triaging and assisting with problem resolution, problem/incident recording and problem escalation for services provided by CAE.
Services include support for the installation of software provided by CAE, troubleshooting hardware, peripheral devices and network issues, troubleshooting printer problems and maintaining print supplies, etc. Computer support is mainly geared towards Windows, with some linux and Macintosh. The primary support area is the College of Engineering and those affiliated with the CoE.
55% Proactive monitoring
- Watch Request Tracker (RT) Help Desk queue for incoming tickets/problem reports.
- Periodically visit remote labs to ensure they are in good order.
- Monitor the CAE Status page for outages and report problems to the CAE permanent staff.
- Keep the print supplies database up to date.
- Monitor CAE lab computers and printers using provided tools to assure machines are running and healthy.
35% Resolve problems reported to CAE Help Desk.
- Provide first-level contact and problem resolution for all users with hardware, software and applications problems. Resolve as many user-reported problems as expertise permits using available tools, and following procedures and policies for the handling of support cases.
- Courteously obtain and convey concise problem information for external and internal service personnel.
- Demonstrate consistently good customer service skills at all times.
- Provide accurate and timely logging of problems and resolution for problems in the RT problem management database following case recording and documentation standards.
- Escalate problems as appropriate following Help Desk procedures.
- Develop troubleshooting skills by using effective investigative methods and using Help Desk troubleshooting tools, such as the Knowledge Base and RT.
- Act as a liaison between customers and permanent staff to assure accurate problem interpretation. Maintain communications with customers during the problem resolution process.
- Troubleshoot printer problems, including paper jams, low toner, photoconductor replacement and filling printers with paper.
10% Consultant training and other assignments
- Complete required Help Desk training that will enhance and improve computing support delivered to customer.
- Utilize down time to improve skills or complete special projects.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of Help Desk supported products and services.
- Suggest ways to improve the process and function of the Help Desk to the Help Desk manager.
- Complete projects as assigned.
- Able to communicate effectively over the phone, email or in person. English is required; other languages welcome.
- Able to write clearly and concisely.
- Ability to communicate respectfully and effectively with potentially difficult situations and users.
- Desire and aptitude to learn information technology support functions and processes.
- Basic computer knowledge – the more the better. Windows a must, linux and Mac preferred.
- Prior experience in a customer service position highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will be a self motivated freshman or sophomore, with some technical computer knowledge, and excellent communication skills.
If you are interested, please fill out the Student Application Form